On-board diagnostics (OBD) trainer (AUT106) is an educational unit designed to study the emission characteristics of vehicles that are monitored by the legally prescribed on-board diagnostics (OBD). The trainer provides a simulation system to enable practicing a hands-on activity on a real On-Board Diagnostic similar to this found in real car that tracks and regulates a car’s performance. It monitors the performance of major engine components using various standard protocols used across most light-duty vehicles to retrieve vehicle diagnostic information.
- The educational unit is designed to provide a fundamental understanding of how and why OBD systems function and the technical features that a diagnostic should have in order to ensure compliant and successful implementation.
- The kit covers all the fundamental design objectives and features that are needed to achieve those objectives for generic on-board diagnostics.
- It provides different control knobs that are used to enable trainees to practically control and change various equipment needed in this system.
- • The knobs are used to control the intake manifold pressure, the throttle position, ignition timing advance, calculated load value, fuel level input, vehicle speed, engine RPM. Engine coolant temperature, intake air temperature, and mass air flow.
- Additionally, the kit panel includes a pushbutton to activate different protocols equipped with indication LEDs that indicate the state of each protocol whether it is switched on or off.
- Each protocol is used to diagnose a vehicle’s engine and displays error codes along with other information such as system performance.
- The kit also includes a pushbutton for the fault insertion purpose that enables trainees to practice on the troubleshooting skills.
- As well as, it includes pushbuttons for faults code, an on/off key switch, and a socket for both USB and DLC connector.
- The faults code switch provides different types of faults code and explanations
- The kit allows trainees to have the possibility to adjust various parameters on their own using the knobs to see how these settings affect the tester.
- The system is provided with installed software that reproduces an environment where student can monitor various parameters inside a car's engine. Being an electronic component, it communicates with all the other electronic components of the vehicle
- Through relevant experiments, students can explore the relationship of the OBD system with the underlying control system and how the OBD system with central system, a network of sensors, and a connection point and indicators can create a complete monitoring system with standardized access and readability.
- The system is equipped with on/off main power switch as well as, emergency switch, which guarantee the required protection to produce a safety working environment