The trainer (DN – 001) is designed to allow trainees to study moment of inertia of flywheel; as it is used for many applications like automotive engine as it maintains a rotating mass (inertia) to assist the engine rotation and provide a more consistent delivery of torque during running.
- The experimental unit is composed of a flywheel with a shaft, a cable and a set of additional weights.
- The shaft represents the axis of rotation in the center of gravity of the flywheel and it is mounted on two bearings.
- One end of the cable is attached to the shaft and the load hanger is attached to the other end where the additional weights can be placed.
- The attached additional weights set the flywheel in a uniformly accelerated motion.
- The apparatus is also provided with a stopwatch and a cord.
- The apparatus allows measuring the time needed to roll down and comparing it to the times for other weights.
- The mass moment of inertia of the flywheel is calculated from the measured time, the mass of the flywheel and the acceleration distance.
- The apparatus is designed to be fixed to a wall.