The Pivot Friction apparatus (DN – 004) tends to demonstrate the relationship between friction torque & axial thrust. The unit also determines the influence of bearing cone angle.
- The apparatus consists of a rotating circular turntable attached onto the end of a vertical shaft.
- The shaft is held vertical within a sturdy wall bracket that must be attached to a rigid vertical surface, i.e. a wall.
- At the lower tip of the shaft a special fixing is present to accept a variety of end pivots.
- The seatings are made from different materials and with different internal cone angles.
- Pure torsion is applied to the table through a pair of diametrically opposite loaded cords and pulleys.
- The unit is supplied with mating Seatings used for the end pivots, The seatings positively locate at the bottom of the wall bracket so that they mate with their respective seatings but do not rotate under testing.
- The unit is provided with a set of calibrated weights and the hangers, that are used to vary the thrust on the end pivot.
- Weights are then added to the load hangers to calculate the necessary parameters.