The educational unit (FM-018) is designed to help students understand the use of weirs (Notches) as simple flow regulators. The unit works with and fits on the top of the Main Hydraulic Unit.
- The educational unit allows tests on the relationships between upstream water level and weir discharge for different shaped notches.
- The weirs is positioned easily and securely on the the main hydraulic unit base module from which the water is supplied.
- The equipment includes a basic set of two typical measuring weirs including a V-notch weir and a rectangular notch weir.
- Each weir fits in a sealed groove in the channel section, the weir can be installed and replaced quickly and easily.
- All materials are corrosion-resistant to protect against corrosion.
- The main hydraulic unit supplies water to the wide end of the tank.
- Water flows through the channel and over the weir, where the deep tank exit allows clear observation of the water discharge.
- The water level can be measured precisely using an adjustable depth gauge attached to a beam across the channel, therefore the head can be calculated.
- The head is used to determine the discharge, which is then compared to the measured values from the main hydraulic unit.