The educational unit is designed to help students understand the use of weirs (Notches) as simple flow regulators. The unit works with and fits on the top of the Main Hydraulic Unit.
- The educational unit allows tests on the relationships between upstream water level and weir discharge for different shaped notches.
- The weirs is positioned easily and securely on the the main hydraulic unit base module from which the water is supplied.
- The equipment includes a basic set of two typical measuring weirs including a V-notch weir and a rectangular notch weir.
- Each weir fits in a sealed groove in the channel section, the weir can be installed and replaced quickly and easily.
- All materials are corrosion-resistant to protect against corrosion.
- The main hydraulic unit supplies water to the wide end of the tank.
- Water flows through the channel and over the weir, where the deep tank exit allows clear observation of the water discharge.
- The water level can be measured precisely using an adjustable depth gauge attached to a beam across the channel, therefore the head can be calculated.
- The head is used to determine the discharge, which is then compared to the measured values from the main hydraulic unit.