The Belt Friction Apparatus (SM – 008) tends to demonstrate the function of a belt drive and the friction of different belt types on a metal pulley. The unit is used to compare different belt types and investigate the effect of the wrap angle.
- The apparatus allows the study of belt drives and belt friction by experiment.
- The apparatus includes a pulley, mounted on ball bearings and its circumference features grooves for V-belts and flat belts.
- The belts rub on the pulley at a wrap angle between 30° and 180°, The wrap angle can be adjusted in increments of 30°.
- The apparatus is supplied with two spring balances which are used to detect the tensile forces on the respective belt ends to precisely adjust the belt tension.
- The apparatus is also equipped with four flat belts that are different in diameters, and three V-belts that are also different in diameters.