Precision friction force measurement trainer (SM – 011) is a benchtop educational unit which demonstrate friction forces between plates of different materials sliding on each other. A spring balance records the friction force being generated by the two plates.
- The trainer is composed of a base plate with a motor at one end operated using a switch.
- The motor drives a cord attached to a sliding primary plate.
- The motor ensures a near constant movement of the primary plate, and two different speeds can be selected.
- The secondary plate slides on top of the primary plate. It remains stationary as the primary plate slides underneath it.
- The secondary plate is attached to a spring balance which records the friction force being generated by the two plates.
- Precision linear bearings and slide guides are used for accurate operation.
- Secondary plate is connected to an analogue spring balance for friction force recording.